Friday, April 5, 2013

My Favorite NML Books

Dr. Japheth Wood discusses his favorite NML books.

"When I was in high school I would spend my free periods in the math department office. One of the treasures I found there was a fairly complete set of books from the Anneli Lax New Mathematical Library that was hidden behind another row of books, and must have been untouched for at decade. I vividly remember reading Coxeter and Greitzer's Geometry Revisited, Ivan Niven's Numbers: Rational and Irrational, and Grossman and Madnus's Groups and their Graphs. Those books really opened my mathematical brain, and had a big impact on my development as a mathematician."
Geometry RevisitedGeometry Revisited
by H.S.M. Coxeter and
S.L. Greitzer
Numbers: Rational and IrrationalNumbers: Rational and Irrational
by Ivan Niven
Groups and their Graphs Groups and their Graphs
by Israel Grossman and
Wilhem Madnus

Japheth Wood, Ph.D. is a mathematician at the Bard Master of Arts Teaching Program and Executive Director of New York Math Circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment